I’ve been sick for the last few days. Because I’m a busy gal, I decided to research some natural ways to get over the common cold fast. In this post, I will tell you some surefire ways to help you kick the cold to the curb! I’ll also give you some tips on how to take care of yourself when you get sick. May the goddess of health be with you!
1. Stay Hydrated.
a. Honey, Ginger & Lemon in Boiled Water
- Lemon is high in Vitamin C which helps kick start your immune system so your body can fight the cold fast.
- Honey is high in Vitamin C and soothes your throat naturally. You can also eat 1 tbsp of honey to treat nighttime coughs.
- Ginger has antiseptic properties that can stop a cold once it starts and, if you aren’t already sick, ginger can prevent you from getting sick at all.
- Boiled Water allows your nasal passage to stretch so mucus can flow out of you faster.
- How to make the Drink:
- -slice half a lemon/lime and put it in the cup
- -add 2 tbsp of honey
- -add 3 tsp of ginger
- -boil water
- -pour it in
- -stir well
- -drink using a STRAW. The citrus and sugar can harm your teeth.
b. Orange Mango Ginger Juice
- Oranges and Mangoes are high in Vitamin C, like Lemon.
- You can drink this hot or cold, but having it warm will help you to get better faster
2. Vitamin C tablets.
I don’t get enough Vitamin C on a daily basis and even though I started drinking juices high in Vitamin C, it never felt like enough. If you are already sick and you are prone to long colds, take a Vitamin C tablet once a day. Each chewable tablet has 833% of your daily dose of Vitamin C. The tablets I buy are from Costco.
These two strategies will help you get rid of your cold much faster than usual. You may feel yourself getting worse before you get better because the virus is still trying to fight back. These remedies are meant to help your immune system fight off the cold, but of course, there is no ‘one size fits all’ solution here. Many viruses can cause the common cold. Most likely your cold will wear off any time from 3 days to a week after it begins if you take care of yourself.
If you read any of this, you probably understand by now that if you’re sick you need LOTS of Vitamin C!
Here are some more Tips:
#1: Keep your lips and body hydrated when you’re sick.
Your lips feel chapped so much more often when you get sick. Make sure to exfoliate your lips with a Lip Scrub. Also get a good lotion, because when your skin isn’t well hydrated, you bruise much more easily.
Tip #2: Sleep A LOT!
Everybody wishes they could sleep more than they do, but when you’re sick, your body is weaker than usual. Your body needs the sleep so it can have enough energy to fight the virus, in other words, sleep helps your immune system. Read more about why you need to sleep when you’re sick in this article by The Huffington Post.